From Green Right Now Reports
Who’s doing the best job satisfying tummies with local food? This summer the American Farmland Trust decided to find out. It asked people to vote for their favorite farmers markets, nationwide.
Today, they announced the winners in the large, medium, small and boutique market categories. And those at the top of their lists are:
Large Category Farmer’s Market: City of Rochester Public Market, Rochester, N.Y.
Medium: Falls Church Farmers Market, Falls Church, Va.
Small: Champaign County Farmers Market, Urbana, Ohio
Boutique: King George Farmers Market, King George, Va.
The Trust also named the “Top 20” markets in each category, based on the number of votes the markets received. The winners are spread across the country, from Ithaca, N.Y., to Seattle, with winning markets in Durham, N.C., Eagan, Minn., and Austin, Texas.
The top 20 in the large market category:
1. City of Rochester Public Market (Rochester, NY) Rochester, N.Y.
2. Davis Farmers Market Davis, Calif.
3. Fulton Street Farmers Market Grand Rapids, Mich.
4. Ballard Farmers Market Seattle, Wash.
5. Mountain View Farmers Market Mountain View, Calif.
6. Flint Farmers Market Flint, Mich.
7. Ithaca Farmers Market Ithaca, N.Y.
8. Chattanooga Market Chattanooga, Tenn.
9. Las Cruces Farmers & Crafts Market Las Cruces, N.M.
10. Iowa City Farmer’s Market Iowa City, Iowa
11. St. Paul Farmers Market St. Paul, Minn.
12. Goochland Farmers Market Goochland, Va.
13. Durham Farmers Market (North Carolina) Durham, N.C.
14. Barton Creek Farmers Market Austin, Texas
15. The Olympia Farmers Market Olympia, Wash.
16. Downtown Phoenix Public Market Phoenix, Ariz.
17. Omaha Farmers Market Omaha, Neb.
18. Eagan Market Fest Eagan, Minn.
19. North Union Farmers Market Shaker Square Cleveland, Ohio
20. Carrboro Farmers Market Carrboro, N.C.