From Green Right Now Reports
Cargill Value Added Meats Retail, a business unit of Cargill Meat Solutions Corporation, is recalling 185,000 pounds of 85-percent-lean fresh ground turkey products produced at the company’s Springdale, Ark., facility because of possible contamination from Salmonella Heidelberg.
The Wichita-based company said it is initiating the recall as a result of one confirmed test sample taken by the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) during a post-August 3 recall review of the processing facility, which yielded low levels of the same Salmonella Heidelberg strain that appears to match the strain previously associated with human illness.
Cargill officials said it has voluntarily suspended production of ground turkey products at its Springdale, Ark., turkey processing facility until additional corrective actions, incremental to those implemented as the result of the August 3 recall, can be identified by the company and reviewed and approved by USDA. Other turkey products produced at Springdale are not part of the recall. Cargill owns four turkey processing facilities in the U.S. and no products from the other three are involved in the recall.
Salmonella is a common bacteria with approximately 2,400 different strains, the vast majority not harmful to humans. Salmonella is commonly found in plants, animals, water, soil and humans. “We all need to remember bacteria is everywhere, and we must properly handle and prepare fresh foods wherever they are served,” explained Willardsen. “USDA food safety guidelines for safely handling and preparing food can be found on the USDA Internet website and serve as helpful food safety reminders.”
Consumers are urged to return any opened or unopened packages of ground turkey items listed on Cargill’s ground turkey recall website to stores where they were purchased for a full refund. Consumers with questions about recalled ground turkey products may contact Cargill’s consumer relations toll free telephone number (1-888-812-1646).
For food safety inquiries, consumers may contact the USDA’s “Ask Karen” virtual representative available 24 hours a day at AskKaren.gov (http://www.askkaren.gov/). The toll-free USDA Meat and Poultry Hotline 1-888-MPHotline (1-888-674-6854) is available in English and Spanish and can be reached from l0 a.m. to 4 p.m. (Eastern Time) Monday through Friday.
All of the recalled products are ground turkey. All packages include Est. P-963 on the label. Products are listed below. For examples of product packaging, please visit the 9/10/2011 ground turkey recall product list page.
Fresh ground turkey chubs
- 16 oz. (1 lb.) chubs of Fresh HEB Ground Turkey 85/15 (53858)
- Use or Freeze by Dates of 09/12/2011, 09/13/2011, 09/19/2011 and 09/20/2011
- 16 oz. (1 lb.) chubs of Honeysuckle White 85/15 Fresh Ground Turkey (55046)
- Use or Freeze by Dates of 09/19/2011, 09/20/2011 and 09/21/2011
Fresh ground turkey trays
- 19.2 oz. (1.2 lb.) trays of Honeysuckle White 85/15 Ground Turkey (50328)
- Use or Freeze by Dates of 09/10/2011 and 09/12/2011
- 48.0 oz. (3 lb.) trays of Kroger Ground Turkey Fresh 85/15 (53150)
- Use or Freeze by Dates of 09/17/2011, 09/18/2011 and 09/19/2011
- 48.0 oz. (3 lbs.) trays of Honeysuckle White 85/15 Ground Turkey Family Pack (53525)
- Use or Freeze by Dates of 09/11/2011, 09/12/2011, 09/13/2011, 09/15/2011, 09/17/2011 and 09/18/2011
- 16 oz. (1 lb.) trays of Honeysuckle White 85/15 Ground Turkey (55093)
- Use or Freeze by Dates of 09/11/2011
Fresh ground turkey patties
- 16.0 oz. (1 lb.) trays of Honeysuckle White Ground Turkey Patties (50920)
- Use or Freeze by Dates of 09/18/2011
- 16 oz. (1 lb.) trays of Kroger Ground Seasoned Turkey Patties Fresh 85/15 (53147)
- Use or Freeze by Dates of 09/17/2011