Quantcast

Hot Topics

Disable your computer screen savers to reduce energy use. Studies show that a monitor in screen saving mode uses significantly more energy than one in standby mode. Also, adjust your computer’s data backup schedule to run during the workday so you don’t have to leave your computer on at night.
Search

Follow Us

facebook_logo Twitter_promo

Story Archive

Student contest offers big prizes for essays about healthier, sustainable school food

October 19th, 2012

From Green Right Now Reports

High schoolers, are you fed up with cafeteria food. Do think “blech” and “meh” at when you see the day’s school lunch? Do you spend the noon break dreaming of a better, healthier menu?

Put those thoughts into words and you may win a prize.

The Healthy and Sustainable School Food Journalism Competition is offering a competition for student journalists, ages 13-18, who write an article abotu the need for healthier and more sustainable school food.

Your piece must be published in a school newspaper to qualify for the contest, which is trying to get the “hard facts about school food” out to school communities.

So if you’ve got an inspiration, write up your ideas, submit them to your student paper and then enter the contest, which will be judged by food author Michael Pollan.

The prizes could pay for one awesome trip to the food market — or better yet, plump up your college fund. The first prize is $1,500.  Second prize: $1,000. Third prize $500. Fourth Prize ( three winners): $300

In addition, your journalism class will get $200, and the opportunity for have your work publicized on the websites of the sponsors, Earth Day Network, the Berkeley Graduated School of Journalism and the Edible Schoolyard Project.

See contest rules here. The deadline is Feb. 28, 2013.

• Share/Bookmark

Tags: · , , , ,

Featured Bloggers

Subscribe to Our Newsletter
Subscribe to Our Newsletter

E-mail Address:
HTML         Text
Writer Bios | About Greenrightnow | Contact Us
© Copyright 2014 Greenrightnow | Distributed by Noofangle Media