Summer and fall are the seasons of abundance. Fruits and vegetables abound in backyard gardens, farmer’s markets and stores. Sometimes, like when your own garden is peaking, and the farmer’s markets are replete with everything from avocados to zucchini, that abundance can be overwhelming. Then it’s time to preserve, freeze and can, so you can seize Mother Nature’s gifts while they are at their best. Here are a few ideas, assembled from many sources and countless hours in the kitchen, that will help you capture that summer spigot of fruit (we’ll deal with veggies next time) by properly canning, freezing or drying your favorite produce.
Trending on GRN
- Farm Kings will make you feel guiltier than The Biggest…
- Got rBST-free milk?
- House Farm Bill would fatten subsidies for big producers,…
- 11 faux meats that are delicious, nutritious, hexane-free…
- These 7 gifts are perfect for nature lovers
- The secret life of GM sweet corn
- Why I’ll still be buying organic edibles
- 5 reasons to quit using weed-and-feed chemicals