Fair Trade USA, a major third-party certifier of Fair Trade products in the US, reported today that sales of Fair Trade certified goods grew by about 75 between the first and last quarters of 2011. Mainstream grocery, food and drug items grew even faster, recording a 95 percent increase in fair trade sales, a boom that was largely driven by the adoption of Fair Trade labels by major food brands like Ben & Jerry’s ice cream and Honest Tea, which have increased their Fair Trade commitments.
Trending on GRN
- 11 faux meats that are delicious, nutritious, hexane-free…
- Hurricane Ike: worse because of global warming?
- The “Go Green Initiative” helps teachers,…
- Reusable lunch gear that really works
- Good fences: Made with bamboo
- Farm Kings will make you feel guiltier than The Biggest…
- Chicago Green Festival at Navy Pier May 22-23
- Help hummingbirds by feeding them correctly