As thousands rushed into action on the Louisiana coast on Friday to deal with the millions of gallons of oil heading for shore, the region’s largest environmental advocacy group issued a statement to illustrate the magnitude of the biological fallout. The BP oil spill quite simply could destroy the most productive fishery in the world, said Mobile Baykeeper, a member of the Waterkeeper Alliance. The coastal Gulf region, stretching from the Mobile Bay Estuary to Galveston Bay, produces 69% of all domestic shrimp and 70% of all domestic oysters, the group reported.
Trending on GRN
- 11 faux meats that are delicious, nutritious, hexane-free…
- Hurricane Ike: worse because of global warming?
- The “Go Green Initiative” helps teachers,…
- Reusable lunch gear that really works
- Good fences: Made with bamboo
- Farm Kings will make you feel guiltier than The Biggest…
- Chicago Green Festival at Navy Pier May 22-23
- Help hummingbirds by feeding them correctly