Five farmers in Brooklyn are out to set a record: to plant the largest commercial rooftop farm in New York City. Last week, the Brooklyn Grange team, with the help of volunteers and a rented crane, hauled 1.2 million pounds of a soil and compost shale mix from Pennsylvania to the top of a six-story warehouse building in Long Island City, Queens. The nearly one-acre rooftop space is the first of its kind in the city, and the Brooklyn Grange team hopes it will be the first of many.
Trending on GRN
- 11 faux meats that are delicious, nutritious, hexane-free…
- ‘Farm in a Barrel’: Raise fish and grow your own
- 5 reasons to quit using weed-and-feed chemicals
- DIY drip line irrigation – an efficient way to water your…
- Hurricane Ike: worse because of global warming?
- Getting water wise by catching the rain
- Save nature and free time — install a Pocket Prairie
- Good fences: Made with bamboo