Five farmers in Brooklyn are out to set a record: to plant the largest commercial rooftop farm in New York City. Last week, the Brooklyn Grange team, with the help of volunteers and a rented crane, hauled 1.2 million pounds of a soil and compost shale mix from Pennsylvania to the top of a six-story warehouse building in Long Island City, Queens. The nearly one-acre rooftop space is the first of its kind in the city, and the Brooklyn Grange team hopes it will be the first of many.
Trending on GRN
- Nature in Danger: Orangutans are gentle apes facing extreme…
- Rising temperatures, shrinking snowpack fuels Western…
- Lowe’s offers more recycling options to customers
- Cool Buy: Eco Born eyewear made of recycled materials
- A new report asks: Should the U.S. State Department be…
- Florida Keys Tourism Council posts updates on oil spill
- Green Corn Project Fall Fundraiser Silent Auction
- It’s A Fiesta!