Five farmers in Brooklyn are out to set a record: to plant the largest commercial rooftop farm in New York City. Last week, the Brooklyn Grange team, with the help of volunteers and a rented crane, hauled 1.2 million pounds of a soil and compost shale mix from Pennsylvania to the top of a six-story warehouse building in Long Island City, Queens. The nearly one-acre rooftop space is the first of its kind in the city, and the Brooklyn Grange team hopes it will be the first of many.
Trending on GRN
- Save nature and free time — install a Pocket Prairie
- 5 reasons to quit using weed-and-feed chemicals
- 11 faux meats that are delicious, nutritious, hexane-free…
- Lowe’s offers more recycling options to customers
- DIY drip line irrigation – an efficient way to water your…
- How to avoid BPA and its ‘evil twin’ BPS
- A Letter From Austin Parks Foundation’s Executive…
- 7 top green residential buildings in the U.S.