While details regarding the cause of the rupture and the magnitude of the spill are still coming in, the Mayflower tar sands spill is yet another demonstration of the risks that tar sands pipelines pose to the communities and sensitive water resources they cross. At about a tenth of the full capacity of the Keystone XL tar sands pipelines, the 90,000 bpd Pegasus pipeline rupture offers us a small sample of the risk that tar sands pipelines pose to American communities.
Trending on GRN
- City of Austin wants public input for Bull Creek Park Master
- Meet the guru of the ‘Power of Just Doing Stuff’
- High speed rail: Getting Texas on track
- Cartoon contest satirizes government interference in…
- Are you crunchy?
- Worried about toxic ingredients in cleaners? See our new…
- Good fences: Made with bamboo
- Atrazine still polluting water; Texas tests show high levels