World consumption of animal protein is everywhere on the rise. Meat consumption increased from 44 million tons in 1950 to 284 million tons in 2009, more than doubling annual consumption per person to over 90 pounds. The rise in consumption of milk and eggs is equally dramatic. Wherever incomes rise, so does meat consumption.
Trending on GRN
- Sustainable and stylish — Overbrooke’s totes and
- TreeHouse plans to expand
- 4 DIY gifts that can be created in less time than you spend…
- Community gardens: A plot for growing and eating locally
- Are you crunchy?
- Atrazine still polluting water; Texas tests show high levels
- Slowing Down On The Farm: The Story Of The Straus Dairy
- Stuck in a box: Crayola needs to work on its green