World consumption of animal protein is everywhere on the rise. Meat consumption increased from 44 million tons in 1950 to 284 million tons in 2009, more than doubling annual consumption per person to over 90 pounds. The rise in consumption of milk and eggs is equally dramatic. Wherever incomes rise, so does meat consumption.
Trending on GRN
- 11 faux meats that are delicious, nutritious, hexane-free…
- ‘Farm in a Barrel’: Raise fish and grow your own
- 5 reasons to quit using weed-and-feed chemicals
- DIY drip line irrigation – an efficient way to water your…
- Hurricane Ike: worse because of global warming?
- Getting water wise by catching the rain
- Save nature and free time — install a Pocket Prairie
- Good fences: Made with bamboo