Five farmers in Brooklyn are out to set a record: to plant the largest commercial rooftop farm in New York City. Last week, the Brooklyn Grange team, with the help of volunteers and a rented crane, hauled 1.2 million pounds of a soil and compost shale mix from Pennsylvania to the top of a six-story warehouse building in Long Island City, Queens. The nearly one-acre rooftop space is the first of its kind in the city, and the Brooklyn Grange team hopes it will be the first of many.
Trending on GRN
- 5 reasons to quit using weed-and-feed chemicals
- Got rBST-free milk?
- HOAs must consider drought-tolerant landscaping under new…
- Save nature and free time — install a Pocket Prairie
- Shale oil production dependent upon ‘drilling…
- 12 fish you should never eat
- How to make your Keurig more eco-friendly
- ‘Chasing Ice’: Powerful film captures gorgeous,…