As thousands rushed into action on the Louisiana coast on Friday to deal with the millions of gallons of oil heading for shore, the region’s largest environmental advocacy group issued a statement to illustrate the magnitude of the biological fallout. The BP oil spill quite simply could destroy the most productive fishery in the world, said Mobile Baykeeper, a member of the Waterkeeper Alliance. The coastal Gulf region, stretching from the Mobile Bay Estuary to Galveston Bay, produces 69% of all domestic shrimp and 70% of all domestic oysters, the group reported.
Trending on GRN
- 5 reasons to quit using weed-and-feed chemicals
- Got rBST-free milk?
- How to make your Keurig more eco-friendly
- 12 fish you should never eat
- HOAs must consider drought-tolerant landscaping under new…
- Oy, I’m confused about soy
- Get healthy scents this Valentines Day
- A Starbucks boycott percolates over Fair Trade and organic…